FILM NOTES | IRIS

Last weekend I watched a film that'd been on my watch-list for over a year; Iris. I had been waiting patiently for a perfect time to watch it, and that time was last Saturday. 


If you are not familiar with the wonder that is Iris Apfel, then let me introduce you! Iris is just amazing - a wunderkind and a true trailblazer. 
 


A women after my own heart. I love her playful and blunt nature. Her honest approach to clothes and the fashion industry. Her love and devotion to her husband, Carl (who turns 100 during the film).






Watching this film made me think of how I dressed when I was younger. Making me a bit sad for the freedom and creativity that i had back then, but have lost a bit now. 

I used to be very outlandish as a child and teen. I shopped exclusively at charity shops and discount stores. I wore piles and piles of bracelets, scarfs and used hair dye as another accessory. I was unafraid and bold - I knew what I liked and what I didn't. I cut jeans into skirts and dresses into tops, cardigans into jumpers and the list goes on... 

Watching this film has made me want to re-discover some of that girl who is still very much inside of me.. She just got caught up in all the sameness somewhere along the way. 

If you love documentaries, New York, fashion, elderly people, pattern or colour (or happily all of these things like myself!) then I couldn't recommend this any more to you. 


--------------------------------------------------------------------

You can see the rest of my film notes series here 

No comments