SEASON OF MAGIC: WEEK 2

Week two of magic, lets get spooky .... 


Basic
- collage & pen

When this season was announced I knew that I wanted to do some pages from the book "Her Fearful Symmetry". It is a novel by Audrey Niffenegger (same author as the time travelers wife) and it touches on themes of death, loneliness and your internal relationship with yourself. It's been a long time since I have read it but there are scenes from the book I think of often, especially when I am thinking about where we go after we die. This page is about being trapped by your own mind. Especially as artists and designers, it is easy to conceal yourself and your ideas by thinking you are not worthy or correct or current. 
I used these magazine cuttings to show this and their shackled in by bars of birds. It is a reminder that breaking free will only ever feel better than being suspended in between.


Dream On, Dreamer
- collage, watercolour & stamps

My only advice for anyone. I am a lucid dreamer which is fascinating and terrifying all at once and I have huge, detailed daydreams and real life dreams, ambitions as well. It really is a little bit of everyday magic - your mind, your imagination and your dreams. 


YOU
- ink, bleach, collage & marker pen

Imagine if your inside and your outside were exactly the same. That we could see what your soul looked like and what kind of a person you were. I find the whole notion of outer beauty (and our current modern world fascination with it) such an interesting subject that I think I could fill a whole journal with it's themes. 


You Win Me
- collage & pen

You win me. And all that comes with me; Art, Awe, Exploring and Love.
My sleeping Beauty has balls and is a disheveled modern glitter kinda princess.


5 comments

  1. Wow, your pages take my breath away as always Julia. I really want to read 'Her Fearful Symmetry' now. You convey so much in your creativity and I love it (and I have vivid dreams too, but not quite at the lucid stage #dreaming!) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you totally have to read that book! Thank you for your lovely comments <3 lucid dreams are creepy and cool at the same time, maybe they'll come to you?! X

      Delete
  2. Completely blown away by that first spread. A great book, full of mystique and love. But that page, it's speaks very loudly to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, totally spend most of my day in a dream state.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I think it's probably a favourite of mine as well. Dream on sister 👭

      Delete