POST 003: GET MESSY WEEK 2

So this weeks #getmessyartjournal entry is based around our September prompt, made by the lovely Sabine... 


Journaling Challenge: Live your adventurous dreams on paper. What would you love to do, or at least try, if you had the courage to live more adventurously? I would, for example, like to live on a houseboat or a train wagon.
Art Challenge: Try a method or material you’ve never worked with before. Be adventurous!


This prompt had an almost immediate, gut reaction from me. TRAVEL. I love to travel, to explore, to see new places and experience different cultures. I am also an almost extreme lover of cities (give me a city break over a beach holiday all day everyday) yet I grew up in the countryside, next to the sea and anytime I need a little boost, or some reflection, that's where I'll be



VB Country
I love this image of Victoria Beckham from the September issue of Vogue (UK) and all I added were some fruit tea stains and felt tip outlines, I edited the image to seem more vintage and warm, which is what this page is all about. You can't beat the British countryside and I love the summers I spend deep in woodland, exploring and walking and remembering my childhood :)



'I'd be in Paris right now if I could afford it' Audrey Hepburn, Funny Face, 1943
Oh Audrey, no truer words have ever been said. Paris, in the Autumn... Yes please! These pages are a mix of fashion magazine collage, watercolour and text and all together I think pretty Parisian and chic ! Someone take me back...! 



Paris is my favorite colour 
Can you tell I'm a little obsessed with this city?! For these pages, I focused more on the fashion (I love you Chanel) and colours that I remember seeing when I was there a couple of years ago, I visited a textile market and it was so amazing, if I had time to, I could spend weeks there!



Bright lights big city! 
Need I say more? Part of the prompt this month was to use a new technique and for this cityscape painting, I created the background using a patterned roller and gouache - my first time using something like this! It looked much better than I had anticipated because it was brought from a children's craft section in a supermarket, my expectations were pretty low, but I kinda love the effect :) 



Bright lights big city, part 2!
So I used my new favorite dotty roller and also at home mono printing! This was an actual revelation for me! I saw the idea through the always inspiring Pinterest (via Alisa Burkeand it's basically just mono printing but instead of needing the correct ink (I used gouache) and the glass surface, you can put the paint into a flat plastic bag your paper on top and scratch and mark-make on the back of that. Actual fool proof technique!
When I was making these pages I was thinking of New York City, surely the city of all cities?! But also about my upcoming trip/epic journey/lifetime dream adventure to Tokyo! Hence the out of office text, I am crazy good at leaving work at work when I leave and I think my absolute dream, and main answer to the September prompt through these pages is to take a year off work and just travel and explore this amazing planet! Here's hoping one day this happens for real! :D 



Get Messy is an art journal challenge where a gang of crafty vixens are sharing art journal pages we have created to practise our skills and push past our creative limits with hopes to inspire. We share our pages without restraint every week, and once a month we create around a prompt. Go check out these crazy talented ladies who are creating pages who each have a unique perspective and style. We will be sharing our work around social media so follow the hashtag #getmessyartjournal.





No comments